The Teal Tea Foundation was established in 2008 by ovarian cancer survivor, Jean Shipos, with the support of her family and friends. The mission of the foundation is to raise ovarian cancer awareness and to support research efforts focused on early detection, treatments, and a cure for ovarian cancer. The foundation is dedicated to helping all women with their quality of life and long term recovery and has several programs directed towards individual woman diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
The Teal Tea Foundation supports the “Give Women a Lift” program which provides transportation to women with ovarian or other gynecological cancers who are facing financial hardship. The program has helped hundreds of women undergoing radiation or chemotherapy treatment to travel between home and their doctor’s office, hospital or cancer clinic.
To support its mission, the Teal Tea Foundation partners with both national and local organizations, sponsoring events throughout the year to raise funds. Donations go to providing education in local communities in PA and NJ to raise awareness on the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer as well as to support research programs in local medical centers.
Please consider making a donation to the Teal Tea Foundation today, every dollar helps!
Teal Tea Foundation “Give Women A Lift” Program
The Teal Tea Foundation, a 501(c)(3) not-for profit organization, officially established the “Give Women A Lift” program on January 1, 2012 funded by a grant received from the Zonta International organization to provide the cost of public or private round-trip transportation (up to $250.00 per patient) for women receiving treatment for ovarian cancer and/or for any other gynecological cancer, including: cervical, uterine, vaginal and vulvar within the tri-state area of New Jersey, southeastern Pennsylvania, and the New York City metropolitan area. The “Give Women A Lift” program will also cover transportation costs for medical office follow up visits related to the treatment of ovarian cancer and/or for any other gynecological cancer, as outlined above.
Any woman receiving treatment for ovarian and/or gynecological cancer can apply to the “Give Women A Lift” program through her treatment facility’s Social Services Department
Program Guidelines for Social Service Representatives
- Patients receiving treatment for ovarian and/or gynecological cancers at an accredited hospital, medical center, clinic or not-for-profit health care facility; or are traveling to a medical office follow up visit related to the cancer treatment, as noted above are eligible for program consideration.
- Transportation funding covers round trip expenses for qualified medical office follow up visits related to cancer treatment and cancer treatment appointments up to $250.00 via cab/van service.
- The Social Service Representative completes Form 1A-TTF, “Request for GWAL Transportation Funding” on behalf of the patient and submits the form to the GWAL coordinator.
- Reimbursement is made directly to the public or private provider of transportation or the hospital Reimbursement is expected within 30 days of receipt of the completed Form 1A-TTF
- Transportation vouchers can be provided to the facility’s Social Service Department by the Teal Tea Foundation for use with transportation companies who have agreed to accept them for the purposes of this grant program.
- Reimbursement will be made directly to transportation company(ies) or the hospital within 30 days of receipt of the transportation voucher.
- Arrange for ADA Reasonable Accommodation relative to the patient’s transportation, as needed.
Program Guidelines for Patients
- You are a patient with a diagnosis of ovarian cancer and/or any other form of gynecological cancer and are currently in treatment status at an accredited hospital, medical center, clinic or not-for-profit health care facility, and/or travel to a medical office for follow up visits related to cancer treatments noted above.
- Contact the Social Service Representative at your treatment facility and provide them with the information form which explains the “Give Women A Lift” program and the accompanying Form 1A-TTF, “Request for GWAL Transportation Funding” to complete.
- Provide the Social Service Department with requested information to determine your charity care status.
- Advise the Social Service Department if an ADA Reasonable Accommodation related to the transportation is needed prior to date of first grant covered service.
- Advise the provider of transportation services if an ADA Reasonable Accommodation related to the patient’s transport is needed.
- Agree to cooperate with the treatment facility and/or transportation providers by submitting the current voucher on date of transport; be ready for pickup on your appointment date; observe the safety rules and regulations for the mode of transportation, as determined by the transportation provider.
- Notify the Social Service Department of any change in your status that might have an impact on your transportation grant funding.